Sun Care at Sutherlands
At Sutherlands Hair and Beauty we offer a wide range of sun care products for your hair, face and body from professional brands including Wella, Decleor, Vitage and Elizabeth Arden Pro. Please ask in salon for details..
It’s important to protect your skin from the sun, so we have written a guide with some handy tips including how to properly apply sunscreen for it to be effective.
- Wear a wide-brimmed hat.
- Protect your eyes from the sun.
- Use sun-cream with a high sun protection factor (SPF).
- Wear clothing made of cotton or natural fibres.
- Try to sit in the shade.
- Avoid the sun between 11am and 3pm.
- Make sure the sunscreen is not past its expiry date. Most sunscreens have a shelf life of two to three years.
Most people do not apply enough sunscreen. As a guide, adults should aim to apply around:
- two teaspoons of sunscreen if you’re just covering your head, arms and neck.
- two tablespoons if you’re covering your entire body, while wearing a swimming costume.
If sunscreen is applied too thinly, the amount of protection it gives is reduced. If you’re worried that you might not be applying enough, you could use a stronger SPF sunscreen.
If you plan to be out in the sun long enough to risk burning, sunscreen needs to be applied twice:
- 30 minutes before going out.
- again just before going out.
Sunscreen should be applied to all exposed skin, including the face, neck and ears – and head if you have thinning or no hair – but a wide-brimmed hat is better.
Sunscreen needs to be reapplied liberally and frequently, and according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
This includes applying it straight after you’ve been in water – even if it is ‘water-resistant’ – and after towel drying, sweating or when it may have rubbed off.